- Ezekiel: The Heaven in the Exile
Dr. Albert S.H. Lee
Assistant Professor of Biblical Studies, Evangel Seminary
Goals of the Course
- Understand how the exilic context of Ezekiel influences our interpretation of the book.
- Examine the hidden meanings and implications of the oracle and apocalyptical visions in the book.
- Explore the importance of preserving faith identity in the ancient pagan world and our contemporary world.
- Strengthen your faith to give good witnesses of our belief in the evil world.
Requirements of the Course
- Complete reading the Book of Ezekiel in different translations (e.g. NRSV, YLT, NIV) over the course period.
- Try to transform the content of each lesson to your weekly prayer and action plan.
- Participate actively in the class discussion.
Sep 3 Introduction of Ezekiel and calling of the prophet Sep 10 Judicial oracle against Jerusalem Sep 17 Vision of God’s glory leaving the Temple Sep 24 True Vs false prophets and ending of Judah Oct 8 Rebellion of Israel and Judgment on Nations Oct 22 Hope of restoration and vision of New Temple Oct 29 Historical context (religion, society, politics) and reflection
From Sept 3 to Oct 29, 2019 (on Tuesday, total 7 sessions, No class on Oct 1 & 15)
- Traditional Chinese Thoughts and Dialogue with Christianity
Dr. David Y. T. Lee
Adjunct Professor of Theology, Evangel Seminary
Ph.D., Middlesex University
Ph.D., Brunel University
Goals of the Course
- To acquire a basic understanding of some traditional Chinese thoughts especially Confucianism. To take note also some similar teachings between Christianity and Confucianism.
- To compare the mission strategy of the Nestorian missionaries of the Assyrian Church of the East in China in 7th-8th century China and the Jesuits of the Roman Catholic Church in 15th-16th century China. To take note also Protestant mission in 18th and 19th century China.
- To arrange a special guided visit in a Christian Church in Tao Fong Shan, Shatin.
Requirements of the Course
- Come with an open mind to the lessons.
- Try to read a few chapters of any Confucian classics.
- Be ready to learn lessons from history of Christianity in China.
Nov 5 The beginning and concise key teachings of the Three Teachings of Chinese thoughts. Nov 12 A deeper examination of Confucianism and the contrast of teachings between Confucianism and Christianity. Nov 19 To compare the cultural adaptation of Christianity and Islam in China. Nov 26 To compare the mission strategy of Nestorian missionaries and Jesuit missionaries. Dec 3 To understand the complexity of Protestant mission strategy in 18th and 19th century China. Dec 10 To understand the present dialogue between Christianity and Chinese culture in the 20th and 21st century China. Dec 17 To be aware of the relation between Scripture, cultural adaptation and practical wisdom in a Chinese context.
From November 5 to December 17, 2019 (on Tuesday, total 7 sessions)
7:30pm – 9:20pm
St Andrew’s Church Kowloon,
138 Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong.
The course is designed for Christians of all ages. No requirement needs to be met for taking the course. Applicants should just submit a completed application form duly signed by your church pastor.
Students who have attended at least 6 sessions of the course can apply for a Certificate of Completion.
One week prior to the commencement date of the course, or once the enrollment is full.
- Please complete the application form and submit it with a crossed cheque payable to “Evangel Seminary”, either in person or by post addressed to Evangel Seminary Theological Education by Extension Department, G/F to 3/F, 38-46 Nassau Street, Mei Foo Sun Chuen, Kowloon, Hong Kong
- Once the application is accepted, the tuition fee paid will not be refundable.
- Email confirmation of acceptance of application will be sent to the applicant.
- We reserve all rights to accept the application or not.
- All information in the application form will be automatically added to our mailing list for future correspondences.
Typhoon and Rainstorm Arrangements
- During Typhoon signal no. 8 or above
- If Typhoon Signal No. 8 or above, is still hoisted at 5:00pm, the class will be cancelled on that day.
- If such Signal is lowered before 5:00pm, the class will be held as normal.
- During Black Rainstorm Warning
- If Black Rainstorm Warning is still issued at 5:00pm, the class will be cancelled on that day.
- If Black Rainstorm Warning is cancelled before 5:00pm, the class will be held as normal.
- Please visit to our website for any updated arrangements.
- Please note that public announcements made by the Education Bureau about the suspension of classes may only be applicable to primary and secondary schools and not to Evangel Seminary.
- No additional session or refund of tuition fee will be arranged as a result of any class cancellation due to bad weather.
HK$700 per course
(Please check one of the following in the application form, if applicable)
- Full-time student or applicant with financial difficulty can enjoy 50% discount on tuition fee, upon the produce of a copy of student card or a church reference letter.
- Student currently studying in other programs in Evangel Seminary (except certificate course) as well as his/her spouse can enjoy 50% discount on tuition fee.
- For five or more applicants from the same church, each can enjoy 10% discount on tuition fee.
- Early-bird application, received one month or more before the application deadline (based on postmark date), can enjoy 10% discount on tuition fee.
- Member from Evangelical Free Church, with application form signed by the church pastor, can enjoy HK$100 discount.